Prof. Dr. Ayse Akin is a Medical Doctor, Public Health and Gynecology & Obstetrics specialist. She has worked as a faculty member at Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine - Department of Public Health for 43 years. Following his retirement, she is currently the Director of Başkent University Woman - Child Health and Family Planning Research and Implementation Center (BÜKÇAM) and also faculty member at the Faculty of Medicine- Public Health Department at the same university.
Starting from Erzurum – Çat Primary Health Care Center, worked at all levels of Turkey's health system, Prof. Akin served as; Health Center Physician for 4 yearss, head of the district hospital for 15 yers, Director of the health district for 3 years. and General Director of Mother Child Health and Family Planning at the Ministry of Health for 5 years.
Having 4 years of further education and experience at Southamton University and London School of Hygien and Tropical Diseases in England, Prof. Akın has chaired various advisory boards and management committees of the World Health Organization for many years. She is currently consultant of international health organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).
Prof. Akın's main interests - fields of study are Women's Health, Reproductive Health and Gender issues. She has various researches and publications on these issues.
She has received many “science and service awards” in aforementioned fields. However in her own words the most important achievements and awards of Prof. Akin in her career , are the labor force she contributed in their training and tried to be a role model for the young generations as well as her contribution in health of the people.
Some of the awards she has received:
- 1994, Turkish Medical Association (TTB) - Honor Award
- 1995, Prof. Dr. Nusret Fişek - Public Health Science Award
- 2012, İhsan Doğramacı Family Health Award with the decision of the World Health Organization - Geneva Executive Board
- 2019, Turkish University Women's Association Science Award
- 2019 United Nations - World Nairobi Summit, “Service Award” for her contribution to human rights and women's rights in the last 25 years. This award is given to 12 people at the global level and Dr. Akin was one of them.